My Sad, Sad Visitor Counter :(

19 June 2010

Mourning times past...

I spent too much time yesterday searching for new blogs to read. A lot of them were filled with stories of kids and the long summer ahead and my heart clenched a little bit. Once upon a time that was me. I was the SAHM half looking forward to the long summer and half dreading it. We were no longer on a schedule, rushing around trying to get ready for school, volunteering at school, attending conferences and such. On the other hand we had a whole long summer to fill.

My 'kids' are now 20, 18 and 16 - my oldest will turn 21 in August! The two older ones are at uni and still live at home but they are venturing out of the nest and exploring on their own. My DD is the only one who still wants to spend any time at all with me (and it's not a lot!).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Just the fact that they are all learning to fly means I've done my job and done it fairly well. I stumbled and tripped along the way and it was definitely a financial struggle for my DH and I but a little part of me mourns the days we spent together, when things were new and bright and shiny and the long summers seem to stretch forever ahead of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment