My Sad, Sad Visitor Counter :(

23 December 2011

Happy Solstice/Yule/Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa

Whatever tradition you follow at this time of year I hope everyone has an enjoyable holiday season.

Sometimes I think we're all running around like crazy, trying to create the 'perfect' holiday and forgetting what is really important.  I see this time as a time to remember what is important in life- family and friends and taking time to enjoy them.

I really miss my Mum and family this time of year.  I haven't spent a Christmas season at home since I came to America.  I miss Christmas Pudding, Yorkshire Pudding, Crackers, a little drink, trifle and the Queen's Speech.  I try to incorporate a little of everything into our family celebration but it isn't the same.  I always talk to my Mum on Christmas Day and listen to the laughter in the background.  My hubby's family is more subdued, they don't indulge in drink of any kind.  There are no games, no charades, no silly jokes from crackers. 

Oh, don't get me wrong.  We get along well together and everyone has a good time, but it just isn't the same as I remember from childhood.  The hubby, kids and I have started new traditions of our own - we always have movie night on the 24th.  Not sure how long it will last.  They are all getting older and will soon start traditions of their own, with families of their own.

So on Christmas Eve Eve I am going to take a deep breath and try to enjoy what is really important in life - family!

No comments:

Post a Comment