My Sad, Sad Visitor Counter :(

12 March 2011

Bodice rippers...

Romantic reads.

Let me begin by saying that I read a lot. I read a bit of everything – you name it, I’ve probably read it, maybe excluding westerns and Christian fiction. I admit it – I’m a book-a-holic, books are my addiction. I don’t go a week without buying a book. I consider book buying a perk for working all week. Some people buy cigarettes, or booze (well, I have to admit to liking a little of that), or lottery tickets (ok, I do buy those once in a while) but my main vice is books. It could be worse. I see a cover, I read a description an excerpt and I am lost.

What I am reading depends on the mood I am in. Lately I’ve been in a bit of a romantic-read mood. I’m dating myself here, but back in the day when I used to sneak ‘adult’ reads the romance was a LOT tamer. Nowadays WHEW! HOT!!! I’m sure the details would make my Mum cringe (or I’d like to think they would!). The covers for romance books have changed too. There used to be pictures of swooning women and buff longhaired me. Remember Fabio? Nowadays the men are still buff, but mostly shorthaired and the women look like they can take care of themselves. I think it’s a result of the changing role of women in our society. Wow, I’m beginning to sound all serious here.

My DD and I took a trip to the library this morning. She had some books to return and I like to go along as they have a cool bookstore in the bottom of the library. People donate their used books there and the library uses the money for different projects and activities around the library. It’s always a great place to find used books and they are really cheap. They aren’t all old books either, some of them are recent releases and most of them look as if they were only read once or twice. Today we bought eight books and paid just over $7. You can’t beat that! Now I have to find the time to read them…

No comments:

Post a Comment